Energy Assistance Program

Mary’s Center's Energy Assistance Program is to assist low-income Prince George’s County residents in paying their heating and electric bills. To be considered eligible, one must reside in Prince George’s County, risk disconnection from their electric/gas service, and fall within federal poverty guidelines. This is a one-time emergency assistance program intended to help pay a portion of a household's heating/electric costs, not the entire annual cost of heating a home. 

This program is made possible through a generous grant from the PHI Community Foundation (a separate entity of Pepco Holdings, Inc.). 

Program Eligibility

  • You must be a resident of Prince George's County, Maryland
  • You are unable to pay your utility bill because of documented financial hardship 
  • You must also have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the federal poverty level.
  • You are at risk for disconnect from your gas or electric service

How it works

To be considered for this program, individuals must schedule an application appointment to apply for energy assistance. Applications are ONLY accepted in person and by appointment ONLY.  Any mailed, faxed, or e-mailed paperwork WILL NOT be accepted.

To schedule on appointment, call (202) 545-2024. If you reach the answering machine, please leave a brief message with your name and phone number. Messages will be returned in the order they were received.

Appointments are held on Fridays in Maryland (at 8908 Riggs Rd, Adelphi, MD 20783), and last approximately 30 minutes. 

Click here to view the application in English.

Click here to view the application in Spanish.

Required Documents

Applications will NOT be processed unless ALL information is provided. Please pay close attention to the list of required documents below. Incomplete applications will result in delay or denial!

  1. Photo ID of Applicant
  2. Proof of Identification for ALL members of your household (i.e. social security card, birth certificate, driver’s license, or passport)
  3. Proof of Residency (copy of mortgage, lease, or rental agreement)
  4. Gas/Electric Bill; Disconnection Notice (if applicable)
  5. Proof of Income for the ENTIRE Household (includes any of the following: employment paystubs, SSI, food stamps, unemployment, child support, disability, retirement, veterans benefits, survivors benefits, etc.)
  6. Proof of Hardship or Inability to Pay (termination letter from employer, unemployment claim, medical bills, proof of loss of other income, OR budget showing insufficient funds)
  7. Letter explaining emergency situation
Social Services


Education - This is a contributing Drupal Theme
Design by WeebPal.