Recent Outcome Data
Mary’s Center maintains data on annual outcomes from our medical, social, and education programs. Our outcomes tracking ability dates to 2004, when a four-year capacity-building grant from Venture Philanthropy Partners gave us the opportunity to hire the staff and purchase the outcomes tracking software needed to gauge the efficacy of our social change model.
Mary’s Center evaluates program outcomes in the context of our Continuous Quality Improvement plan. This plan, updated annually, specifies the measures we examine and actions we take to ensure quality.
As part of our Continuous Quality Improvement program, we track HEDIS measures for selected medical services. HEDIS refers to the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set, a tool developed by the National Committee for Quality Assurance that is used by most U.S. health plans to measure performance.
Here are some of our results for 2009.
--Healthy birth weights. Almost 97 percent of babies born to mothers enrolled in prenatal care at Mary’s Center had healthy birth weights. This figure compares to 87 percent in D.C. and 90 percent nationally.
--Child immunizations. 76 percent of children receiving care at Mary’s Center received the recommended childhood immunizations by age two. This compares to the national rate of 67 percent.
--Pap smears. Almost 88 percent of women ages 24-64 who received care at Mary’s Center had received a Pap test in the previous three years, a figure that compares to 75 percent nationally.
--Hypertension control. Almost 63 percent of patients with hypertension who received care had their blood pressure under control as of their most recent visit; this compares to 55 percent nationally.
--Diabetes control. 61 percent of patients with diabetes who received care had their HbA1c controlled as of their most recent visit; this compares to 55 percent nationally.
-Social Services Outcomes
--Teen pregnancy prevention. Nearly 100 percent of our teen program participants prevented a second pregnancy within two years. Nationally, that rate for teen mothers is about 75 percent.
--High school graduation rates. Almost 90 percent of teens we regularly monitor graduated high school; the remaining 10 percent earned a GED.
--College entry. More than 72 percent of teens we regularly monitor entered college.
--Library card ownership. At time of enrollment, only 9 percent of parents registering for Even Start owned a library card. After 60 hours or more in the program, 91 percent of families owned a library card. (Library card ownership is one indication of parents’ interest in furthering their family’s education.)
--Reading with children. More than 90 percent of parents who complete the family literacy program reported reading with their children.
--Grade promotion. All 41 teens attending our after-school program were promoted to the next grade.
--Post-high school education. Of the 29 high school seniors graduating from our Teen Program, 96 percent (or 22) are attending college or trade school or are working (6).
--6,448 well-child visits.
--1,102 HIV tests and one-on-one risk counseling sessions.
--prenatal care to 1,497 women
--4,277 visits for childhood immunization
--1,686 childhood lead tests
--3,466 Pap tests
--3,034 family planning visits
--1,211 diabetes visits
--We linked 96 percent of children on our home visiting program with a medical provider and enrolled them in health insurance for which they are eligible.
--Drew 116 teens to our After-School and Urbanitos Teen Programs
--Our family support workers made 4,548 home visits
--We screened 3,903 participants for domestic violence (of whom 262 screened positive)
--Provided more than 40,000 instructional hours in parenting and adult literacy
--Distributed 706 children’s books to low-income families with the help of Reading is Fundamental, a Washington, D.C.-based national organization
--Helped 75 percent of Child Development Associate (CDA) candidates to pass the certification practice exam with a score of 80 percent or higher. (A Child Development Associate credential prepares students to work in entry-level jobs in childcare, social work, and community-based programs for children.)