Since its doors opened, Mary’s Center has grown from a small basement clinic that served 200 women a year to a Federally Qualified Health Center that projects to serve over 70,000 men, women, and children in 2013. Our array of services and our constituency have both broadened significantly since our inception. Using a holistic social change model, we provide comprehensive health, social, and education services to underserved, underinsured, and uninsured individuals in the D.C. metropolitan region as well as to newcomers from over 110 countries.
Between 1988 and 2013 our staff size grew from 10 to over 400 and our annual operating budget from $250,000 to $39.9 million. In early 2009, a month after her husband’s inauguration, Mary’s Center was privileged to host First Lady Michelle Obama on her first D.C. community visit. Her empathy and sincerity left a permanent impression on the teens, children, and staff who interacted with her. It is no coincidence that all the seniors in our Teen Program present that day are now attending college.
Mary’s Center now provides comprehensive services at six locations in D.C. and Maryland, including a Senior Wellness Center. We also operate mobile units: the Mama & Baby Bus, providing health screenings throughout the D.C. area, and a pediatric dental unit, the Dental Cruiser, reaching underserved middle school students in Prince George's County, Maryland.
Our success in improving lives and strengthening communities, one family at a time, has fostered important partnerships and earned us many awards. We work closely with a network of service providers around the metropolitan region. We also collaborate with academic researchers on studies examining effective practices. To learn how we are preparing for the future, see highlights from our strategic plan.
- 1988: opened in basement at 1844 Columbia Road, N.W.
- 1994: opened current headquarters at 2333 Ontario Road, N.W.
- 2001: expanded to new building at 1707 Kalorama Road, N.W.
- 2004: became a Federally Qualified Health Center
- 2005: expanded headquarters at 2355 Ontario Road, N.W.
- 2008: opened first Maryland location at 8709 Flower Avenue, Silver Spring
- 2011: opened brand new site at 3912 Georgia Avenue, N.W.and started managing senior wellness center at 3531 Georgia Avenue, N.W.
- 2012: opened first location in Prince George's County, MD, at 8708 Riggs Road
- 2012: launched the Mary's Center Dental Cruiser, a mobile unit providing pediatric dental care at Prince George's County, Maryland Middle Schools